Thursday, September 8, 2016

Stop the Stigma

Today in the clinic, I saw three people with anxiety and depression. Only one had been on medication previously, one had been through therapy at one time. Sadly, one had a previous suicide attempt and instead of being treated properly he had been placed in handcuffs and put in a jail cell overnight.

What are we doing in our country that we are ignoring the problem of mental illness to the point that someone is arrested for a suicide attempt? I was absolutely appalled. No wonder this young person had been afraid to ever ask for any help until today.

When will we stop labeling those with anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, OCD, or any other form of mental illness as "crazy" or treating them as though they have to hide their illness? We do not expect any other type of illness to be ashamed of the card that was dealt to them, so why must someone that has this type feel stigmatized?

I always attempt to open the conversation up to my patients in a very non-judgemental and caring way. I most often just listen. I explain the chemical reasons for the way they feel, how medication can help, and offer alternative forms of treatment. Most importantly, I let them know it is okay to be themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment