Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tweenagers

I have two daughters that are my life. It took me many years to concieve, and I consider them both a gift. But at times, I wish I could exchange them! Just kidding, of course. The drama that goes with raising girls is amazing. Yesterday, my 12 year old came home from school devastated. She had moved her chair in Spanish class, and it made a fart-like noise. Of course, a rotten boy had to point this out, exclaiming that she had farted. The entire class laughed and she was mortified. She attempted to make the same noise again, but alas, the chair would not cooperate. So she was ready to quit school. I told her a 6th grad education would not get her far, so she better suck it up.
We have these sort of tragedies on a daily basis. The school principal and I are on a first name basis, because of my calls to report bullying. I try to stay out of it, but sometimes I have to complain. My 5th grader has "the worst class in the district" (this has been said by several people), and the boys are absolutely horrible. My calls to complain stemmed from 5 boys holding one of the girls down on the playground and biting her! My daughter told me she felt "unsafe" at school because this group of boys likes to play rough and gang up on whoever the current victim is. I was ready to hop on my broom and go whoop some little boys!!
I told my mother that she never told me how hard parenting really is. It is the most gratifying thing I have ever done, but definately the toughest. My sister and I have decided to reward me with a trip to someplace tropical when I get them both sent off to college. I will be done then...right?

No comments:

Post a Comment